Lies & Add Ons...
Why do we lie?
We tell lies because we're afraid... afraid of what we do not know, afraid of what others think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But everytime we tell a lie, the thing we fear grows stronger...
In all honesty...we live in a culture of lies. At times, the truth seems so alien to us. When we were kids, life seemed so much simpler. Poker faced and bad at bluffing, we had no inhibitions.
Nothing to hide, nothing to lose, nothing to fear, nothing to save our sorry ASSes from. What happened to us along the way?
I'm no angel. I'm only human. Flesh and blood. I lie. You lie. We all lie. Who doesn't?! Takes less persuasion to commit a lie than owing up to one. Whether it is for our own selfish reasons...or for the usual 'selfless' classic rationale - ''I lied to protect my loved ones from hurt". Half the time we find ourselves trying to cover whatever lies we concoct, we fabricate. Like a wound that needs to be exposed. Concealing with a band-aid won't make it better, it'll only worsen and in the end what do we get? Pus.
All the world religions teach that lying, for the most part, is bad and the general exception is when a lie serves the greater good, as when those who sheltered Jews during the Holocaust lied about it. (http://www.religionlink.org/tip_040412c.php)
Guess we are self proclaimed do-gooders then... and I stand guilty.
Ignorance is bliss....as long as you never gain knowledge.
What you don't know won't hurt you...as long as you never find out.
We tell lies because we're afraid... afraid of what we do not know, afraid of what others think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But everytime we tell a lie, the thing we fear grows stronger...
In all honesty...we live in a culture of lies. At times, the truth seems so alien to us. When we were kids, life seemed so much simpler. Poker faced and bad at bluffing, we had no inhibitions.
Nothing to hide, nothing to lose, nothing to fear, nothing to save our sorry ASSes from. What happened to us along the way?
I'm no angel. I'm only human. Flesh and blood. I lie. You lie. We all lie. Who doesn't?! Takes less persuasion to commit a lie than owing up to one. Whether it is for our own selfish reasons...or for the usual 'selfless' classic rationale - ''I lied to protect my loved ones from hurt". Half the time we find ourselves trying to cover whatever lies we concoct, we fabricate. Like a wound that needs to be exposed. Concealing with a band-aid won't make it better, it'll only worsen and in the end what do we get? Pus.
All the world religions teach that lying, for the most part, is bad and the general exception is when a lie serves the greater good, as when those who sheltered Jews during the Holocaust lied about it. (http://www.religionlink.org/tip_040412c.php)
Guess we are self proclaimed do-gooders then... and I stand guilty.
Ignorance is bliss....as long as you never gain knowledge.
What you don't know won't hurt you...as long as you never find out.



3 Comments:
Some people choose to lie because they are not really to tell the truth yet. Not just yet. In this context, they may not term this as a "lie" but only a matter of when I will give you the truth.
It only hurts if you are getting the truth from someone else but not from the horses' mouth. Then again, what you do not know won't hurt.
When they are ready to tell the truth? So if we choose to delay the truth for perhaps a more suitable time, does that make it right? Does that make it acceptable? How do we live with lying about it in the meantime while we prepare ourselves for the truth?
Yeah, but as Perfectly Flawed said, "as long as you never find out"..."as long as you never gain knowledge"..it certainly won't hurt.
In order to have peace of mind, please choose not to lie...
Post a Comment
<< Home