Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Of Work, the Weekend, and Dentists...

Maggi-mee buddy said today, "Place the problem on your shoulder and brush it off , like a speck. I am going to keep doing this 'cause my office is full of negative energy."

Work has been not too kind to us and we are holding on to hope for a new beginning. With fingers and toes and anything else that can be crossed, crossed. *brush-brush* Luv ya babes.

Where is the weekend? Come and gone too soon...
It was a weekend for food and virgin trips. We marked our third attendance week at the Post Office on Friday night. Had a good time sharing laughs over drinks although the drizzles did put a damper on things and the night ended earlier than would have. We ended up at the neighbourhood mamak for supper. On Saturday, we visited The Jewel Box on Mount Faber. The thrill of the night was a man-made snow show which lasts for around 15mins every hour. Cheap thrill (was actually foam) but it added to the mood and festivities in my opinion. I simply love Christmas and this time of the year. The music... the decorations... the atmosphere… the joyous feeling...

The next day, it was the Botanic Gardens for a walkabout and brunch. The weather was inviting, cloudy but not gloomy and it was lovely. A beautiful Sunday to experience (breathe) nature and dine outdoors. Catching up with a friend, our brunch lasted for almost four hours. I thoroughly enjoyed my ginger infusion tea with plenty of refills. Later for dinner we had (as Bi puts it) 'rocking' good bak kut teh at Beach Road and took a stroll along Haji Lane to rest our satisfied tummies after.

As a result of the heavy eating over the past two days, we had sandwich for dinner last night with mango pudding (my favourite) for dessert. Before that, I had my routine check-up at the dentist and would like to point something out. In this time and age, of technological advancement, shouldn't dental equipment function quieter? I mean, have we not advanced enough to invent equipment that causes less noise polution? (Sound is what we hear. Noise is unwanted sound). It is after all, completely unnecessary. The drilling noise made during the scaling process always makes me feel as if I'm being texas chain sawed everytime. Solution (and I have my dear mum to thank for this): I plug-in my earphones to drown the noise, close my eyes and imagine I'm somewhere far, far away. Else, my eyes will be bawling at the dentist and the nurse throughout the endeavour.

The dentist I saw half a year ago was unforgettably harsh to my ears and teeth. Told me upfront upon inspection that I had a crooked and unhealthy set of teeth and continued to reiterate this while drilling me roughly from start till the end. No music could drown the noise and her voice, and my eyes bawled unashamedly. I was flabbergasted at her lack of soft skills. I mean, even if I do really have ugly teeth you're in the service industry for goodness sake. Once bitten, forever shy. Dentist Frankenstein. Never again, even if she was the only dentist left in the island. I will fly back to the peninsular. Doctors (and I include dentists in the equation because the salutation is likewise) should at least acquire a standard level of soft skills because they deal with all sorts of people everyday and some patients will undeniably require (how should I put it) more TLC than others. Be it because of fear or for any reason for that matter.

Nevertheless we should not burn the whole forest because of one tree... and I must say this. My encounter with the dentist yesterday was the most pleasant of visits, ever. Was my first time with Mr. Dentist and he was gentle. Soft skills? Evident. The whole session was virtually painless. I was a happy patient. There was no need to plug-in my earphones and whisk myself away. He can bet on seeing me again in six months for sure and if I do plug-in, it'll be for fun, for the heck of it, for the music. I definitely recommend him to those with similar thoughts on dental equipment and the operator. *drill-drill*

Counting down, 34 more days to fabulosity in another island... *anticipate-anticipate*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home