Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bootlickers and Suckers...

I think I am going to have bladder problems. There are certain days where I hold it in because there are so many things to cross out that I wait until tipping point before swiftly walking to the ladies. I digressed. Hearing this felt damn good, in the midst of my circus morning in the office.

“I just wanna say something. I love it that you don’t suck up.”

I was already tired, although the day just started (it was only half past 9) but her words gave me a boost of energy I needed. I was re-energised... recharged... revitalised.

Mr. Boss stopped me on my tracks and strangely asked me this afternoon, "Are we OK? As in OK-OK?" I replied, "Yeah, should we NOT be OK-OK?" He then said, "NO NO, just checking..." and next to us some colleagues were sporting the 'What the heck?!' look on their faces.

Don't know where that came from. Out of the blue. Hhmm, does he sense my unhappiness on certain issues? Oh well... I hope he does.

The team I've had the privilege of working with in my previous workplace shares the same sentiment on work ethics. However, we were given a hard time because Management was not the type who saw you for your skills and required pampering (if you know what I mean). Even one's dialect group influences favouritism. Throughout the challenges, we grew to be a close knit bunch. Bow down we did not and hung on we did, to our belief. This was possible because we had a superb head of department, who is a giant in her own right. Who protected her flock. Who taught us that you don't have to bootlick for a career advancement. The truth will reveal itself eventually. Good for you if the overdue appreciation finally comes but if you've already left the organisation, then it's not your loss and you deserve a better employer/head. An employer should not be too arrogant to their employees. Similarly when it comes to a head and a subordinate. And it applies vice versa. After all, everyone is replaceable.

Those who have worked with me know that I stick by this rule. And like glue, I do. This is the way I work. I will not make a friend out of anyone. I will not massage anyone's rounded parts. I will not use feminine wiles to get what I want. Sometimes it does not work to my advantage, sometimes it does. I'll deal with it. I'll manage. I'll from now on (thanks to maggi-mee buddy's idea), try to brush it off like a speck on my shoulder. But not before venting and in particular circumstances, relieving my heart out.

If I shed a tear I won't cage it, if I feel rage I won't deny it.

I think I should start taking yoga lessons *breathe*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home