Thursday, October 26, 2006

Bookworm vs. Shopaholic?

Some of us have bid adieu to the long holidays and are back to work today. Guess we'll tend to feel the withdrawal symptoms from a long break. Nonetheless, traffic was a breeze in the morning, during lunch time and on the way home. Now, this is what I call a day of sheer driving bliss. One last day of peace on the roads tomorrow before all hell breaks lose again on Monday.
Made a promise to myself that I would not indulge in shopping from now till mid December. No indulgence, but I am allowing myself to catch episodes. Episodes are less than 45 mins shopping trips. Quickies. Christmas is fast approaching and my annual gift list of 15 is increasing. What’s more I keep telling myself it’s time to start saving up for my virgin trip to Hong Kong over CNY. Come February I still would not have saved a penny at the rate I’ve been going. Friends have told me that I would simply love it there. Shopping heaven they say. My kinda heaven!
Therefore, I was determined to say Tak Nak! to shopping. For the weekend. Hey a girl’s gotta start somewhere right? Even walked away from a pair of gorgeous leather-suede MNG heels. Stayed away from all the major shopping centres and decided to hibernate at The Curve/Ikano area. Not so many retail outlets there I figured. STILL I burnt cash. Ended up purchasing 4 books at Borders. Just remembered. I have unopened La Senza and Eclipse shopping bags in my car. *hands on eyes* Think I've been genetically engineered to buy. A natural born shopper? If not shoes, bags or clothes it’s anything and everything. Maybe the next time I should just step out without my plastics and only carry my ID, driver’s license and RM100.
Could not wait any longer for the paperback version of Mitch Alborn’s new book ‘For One More Day’ and grabbed the hardcover copy. Wanted it the moment I saw it. Just like shoes, I told myself. Moreover, it had a violet-ish coloured cover (I like!) with easy to read fonts (my necessary criteria in buying a book). Finished it over the afternoon, with my favourite hot choc (Starbucks, of course) and accompanied by Birdy who had his 12.1 inches to play with. Alborn's latest provided an easy, nostalgic read, reflective and uplifting. An ending with an answer. A discovery. Hhmm, shall not say anymore. No spoilers as the secrets of a book are meant to be unearthed solely by its reader.
Perhaps the next time the shopping itch hits me, I shall scratch it at Borders and spend on pages and pages of words instead. Less damage I reckon to the depleting bank account.

I'm Perfectly Flawed... and I'm a shopaholic :)

3 Comments:

Blogger koo-lat [mb™] said...

Hope you enjoy the new recipe of the Hot Chocolate.. I love it.

6:31 pm  
Blogger Perfectly Flawed® said...

I tried the Hazelnut one. Me no like. Tasted like cough syrup! I'll stick to the original :) Btw, the girl in the ad looks like you at first glance. He he.

8:48 am  
Blogger koo-lat [mb™] said...

arrr.... I like the hazelnut most... :(

Ya, you are not the first one saying that... Everyone thought so.. I didn't realize it myself till they told me so. :I

4:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home