Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Are you a Realist or an Idealist?

The difference between a Realist and an Idealist. Lines from 'The Wedding Date'.
 
"I would rather fight with you than make love to anyone else..."
 
Asked Birdy what he thought. Said, "When you fight, you're communicating. It's trying to resolve things. When you fight, there's a chance of still getting things resolved but if you make love to another, that basically ends what you have".
 
Hhmm, he's got a point. This is what you get from a Realist. They will rationalise and try to make reasonable sense out of things.
 
I thought it was simply sweet the moment I heard it from Dylan McDermott's mouth. No analysing. No post-words-mortem. What's more, how can one NOT forgive someone that looks like him? :)
 
"I'm allergic to fabric softener. I majored in comparative literature at Brown. I hate anchovies. And I think I'd miss you even if we never met".
 
Birdy said, "How can you miss someone you've never met? That's not possible...".
 
Observe the quick validation. The words 'miss' and 'never met' = not possible.
 
"It IS possible. Two instances. One. When you're waiting or searching for that special someone you have a picture of them painted and you miss THAT person. Then when you do meet them, you can tell them exactly that. Two. If you don't have a picture perfect painting and when you meet someone who's everything you've never dreamed of, you can say that too".
 
Now, this is an Idealist at work. We DO rationalise. We rationalise the impractical.
 
Which one are you? I would like to take a vote. I reckon most of us girls are Idealists at heart.

7 Comments:

Blogger Fay said...

Most of the time I am a realist than an idealist. Capricorn is often very practical, I see that a look in me.

1:18 pm  
Blogger Fay said...

I meant, I see that a lot in me.

1:19 pm  
Blogger Perfectly Flawed® said...

Babe, I thought Capricorns are Idealists? They will climb to great heights but it is the climbing down that's difficult for them.

Hhmm.... Ok. We have a female Realist vote.

2:09 pm  
Blogger Fay said...

I think a lot, does that make me an idealist?

"Idealist is someone who dreams, the impossible"

That seems to fit. I dream, sometimes too big I am afraid myself.

So maybe I am an idealist by nature, but have learned to be practical through time?

2:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am:
at Day - a Realist
at Night - a Idealist

So what am I?

Because, most of the times during the day, you need Ms Realist to make important decisions and think so damn logically.

While comes night, we are all relaxed and free, we can dream/fantasize/ponder all we want, no? Whoever said dreaming the impossible is wasting time should be shot dead. IMHO that is.

I believe in striking a balance. A realist without a hint of idealism in him/her makes the person a boring entity.

A full-blown idealist on the other hand, needs some realisism or pragmatism to keep him/her well-grounded. Let her fly too much and she may never know how or want to come down ;)

So in percentages wise I'm 70% Realist and 30% Idealist.

4:13 pm  
Blogger Perfectly Flawed® said...

"I believe in striking a balance. A realist without a hint of idealism in him/her makes the person a boring entity."

I so agree with this.

Ha ha. Realist by day huh. What's this then about wanting seeing Meredith naked more than Shepherd? *chuckle*

Yeah you're right babe. Good to have a balance. Too much of either side is being lopsided.

As the Spice Girls sang, “Too much of something we’re gonna be living a lie...”

But I reckon most of us weigh more on one side. It’s striking the balance that’s hard to achieve. Once again, the heart vs. the head predicament comes to play.

Current result: 1.5 female - Realist, 1.5 female - Idealist. It's a tie!

4:42 pm  
Blogger Justmeeve said...

I think Capricorn is a realist when we know that the ideal thoughts will not come true.

I tend to be idealist BUT I know being idealist may cause pain and disappointment at times. So, I've learnt to become a realist.

Anyhow, I guess am on the same boat as Fay

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home