The Ring

In an episode of Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw discovers a hideous engagement ring in Aidan's closet. Imagine, being proposed to with a ring which is not quite your taste and you have to wear it 'proudly' for the rest of your life. Oh no...
I know some who have played safe and chose to show 'the ring' to their partner so he'll know exactly what to buy when the time comes. But in this case, there will be no element of surprise. I would like to not know what's inside the box but of course needless to say, there's a risk that I will bawl and my eyes will roll in shock at the sight of the ring. Gosh. I'm thinking will I, seriously? Maybe not. Maybe it won't matter when I'm actually proposed to and experiencing, feeling the whole euphoria of the moment. Maybe my beaming happiness will overshadow the ring and the superficialness attached to it. Maybe it won't matter at all and Love will be the protagonist. That's a BIG maybe. Hhmm.......... I reckon I shall leave it to my partner (I'm not the one who's going to propose after all) to decide if he knows me enough to surprise me in a good way. Else, he can always play detective to investigate on my preference but he'll have to outsmart me and do it subtlely. Now, here's a tip.
The ring you buy should reflect her personality - she'll be wearing it for a long time, after all - Groom Groove
And according to FHM magazine, the cost of an engagement ring should be twice the salary of the proposer. This tradition was invented by the jewellery industry in 1947. I reckon this is indeed the benchmark if you need a figure to gauge against how much you should invest.
When it comes to the size however, bigger does not always mean better. Let's say between a 0.7 carat (which in my opinion is an adequate size) with a good cut, colour (D,E or F) and clarity (I-F which stands for internally flawless, VVS-1, VVS-2) and a 1 carat with lower cut and clarity, I would choose the 0.7. It will definitely outshine the 1 carat, not forgetting fetch a higher value as well.
So boys, it's not always about the size yeah and giving her a ring which is not quite her? It's like you committing fashion faux paus and she bearing the grunt for it, for all your married life together. Therefore, do some research and homework. Window shop. All it takes is a little initiative for when you actually find it, you'll know that's the ring meant for the woman you would like to spend a lifetime with. If all else fails and you've tried, opt for the 'asking her best friend' option :)



3 Comments:
you sure you want that surprise :P
Ha ha as I've said, leave it to that someone to decide. If he does not feel confident enough to surprise me in a good way, then play smart detective. But before that, try and do some homework. Research on diamonds. Find out what is the deal when it comes to the cut, clarity or colour. Not a very complicated thing to do :)
you better make sure he does some homework eh :p
Post a Comment
<< Home