Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bags Frenzy

Loewe Amazona

Balenciaga City

Prada Nappa Gaufre

Chanel 2.55

Miu Miu Coffer
RA and I got into a bags frenzy gmail exhange this week and we could not stop lusting over the classic bags that we want. I was feeling excited over collecting my Coffer next weekend while she was seriously contemplating on getting the 2.55 from her friend who's in Paris and sacrificing a trip to the Goldcoast for it. Well, I always pro-rate something expensive that I'm considering to buy with its value and probable years of usage. I also weigh the classic or timeliness factor i.e. whether it's going to be in fashion still, years down the road. In this sense, you have to make your own judgement. So, if you ever find yourself in a predicament over a possible purchase, try this equation. It works! It's the same formula as my 1C diamond ring equation from my 'How do you like your eggs?' post.
Okay. Confession time. Yesterday, I treated myself by grabbing 5 dresses (4 for work and 1 weekender dress) plus another pair of Nine West to add to the collection. I'm guilty as charged. The Lion City is indeed a shopper's paradise and I must learn how to control my spending and save up if I want to have a comfortable nest of SGDs in 6 months and make it grow more nests for me. I am determined. This girl's gonna start making her money work for her. Who says I can't have my bags and shoes and be able to save at the same time? It's all about budgeting :).
The lady folk in the office thought I am in my mid 20s like some of them are. Got down to some chatting during a senior colleague's open house last Friday to celebrate her promotion and when I told them I'm otherwise, they were surprised. Well, it's a good thing to look younger than your actual age but I somehow feel negative about it and have no idea why. Perhaps it's the question of credibility and it's important to own it, doing what I do.
The final bag in my frenzy list and the one that's capable of the most damage in dollars, the Hermes Birkin.
Generally the price of a Birkin starts at USD7500 and the waiting list is over 2 years. And it has been noted for being one of the few brands of handbag to either hold or increase in value with time. Part of the price of all Hermes bags is the privilege to bring any authentic Hermes bag into any boutique to be sent to Paris for a "spa treatment". At a cost of several hundred dollars, any bag, no matter how old or abused, will be brought back to the best condition possible. Birkin handbags are hand-built by experienced craftsmen, one of the primary factors contributing to the high price of all Hermes handbags. The production of each bag may take up to 48 work hours, translating into weeks. They are distributed worldwide to Hermes boutiques on intentionally unpredictable schedules and in even fewer reliable quantities, creating a sense of scarcity and exclusivity around the product. Earlier this year, Doyle New York auctioned off the Black Diamond Crocodile Birkin (as below) customised with a clasp and lock featuring 14 carats of pave diamonds that sold for $64,800. So in the world of bags, this officially is the ultimate in the Holy Grail of bags. - from Wikipedia.

Do you know anyone who has a Birkin?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home