Tuesday, July 31, 2007

of Bad Genes and Steroids...

I saw two different doctors yesterday.
In the morning, I visited my consultant opthalmologist. Left eye was giving me problems again and decided to paint itself red. Told her I needed an instant cure as I'm going to rehab very soon. Eye drops and cream, both containing steriods were prescribed.
In the evening, my family MD because I was having back pains. Yes, back pains at 27 (well, technically I'm 26). Could not straighten my body and was walking at a 90 degrees angle like a hunchback. Apparently, I pulled a ligamen. The pain was so severe until tears were rolling down my eyes when I was being inspected. I demanded to be jabbed with steriods. My ass was numb for an hour after. Don't ask me what I did. No, this was not the result of violent sex contrary to the belief of my colleagues. I don't know. It just happened.
Now I know what it feels like for my dad. How is it that we mostly inherit bad genes from our parents? Bad genes seem to be more dominant and aggresive - allergy problems (e.g. asthma, eczema), gastric, diabetes, hypertension, heart problems etc. Short of taking a DNA test, this is one way in which we can confirm whether we're biological or adoptive.
When I was very much younger, I had this notion that I was adopted as I don't look like my parents. The Cantonese serials that were running in local TV channels at that time contributed further to the idea. You know, how one child always has abandonment issues - poor family, raised in a more priviledged environment, comes to find out the truth about his or her background yada-yada-yada. I innocently asked my mom and she just laughed it off, "Yeah we picked you up from the beach". I was born in Pantai Medical Centre hence the pickup location. She told my dad and he shook his head, wrapped his palms on my face and said in an assuring tone, "Darling girl, how can you think you are adopted? Must not watch too much TV. You belong to us ok?".
Yup, I do belong to them and thanks to bad genes, I know I am indeed my father's daughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home