Thursday, July 26, 2007

Everything She Wants

Somebody told me
Boy, everything she wants is everything she sees
I guess I must have loved you
Cause I said you were the perfect girl for me
But now we're six months older
And everything you want and everything you see
Is out of reach, not good enough
I don't know what the hell you want from me

Somebody tell me, won't you tell me
Why I work so hard for you?
All to give you money
All to give you money
Some people work for a living,
Some people work for fun
Girl, I just work for you
They told me marriage was a give and take
Well you showed me you can take
You've got some giving to do

And now you tell me that you're having my baby
I'll tell you that I'm happy if you want me to
But one step further and my back will break
If my best isn't good enough
Than how can it be good enough for two?
I can't work any harder than I do

Somebody tell me, won't you tell me
Why I work so hard for you?
All to give you money
All to give you money

Why do I do the things I do?
I'd tell you if I knew
My God, I don't even think that I love you

How could you settle for a boy like me,
When all I can see is the end of the week
All the things we sign
And the things we buy
Ain't gonna keep us together
It's just a matter of time

My situation never changes
Walking in that manner through that door
Like a stranger
But the wages I give you
All you say you want more
And all I can see is the end of the week
All the things we sign
And the things we buy
Ain't gonna keep us together
Girl, it's just a matter of time
Poor boy, you can feel his frustrations. *chuckle*
- From Wikipedia
A five-minute song (there also exists a six-and-a-half-minutes-long version with an added bridge), "Everything She Wants" was written from the angle of a man rapidly approaching desperation at the material demands of his partner which seems to be coming to a head, despite the amount of work he did to keep them. In a twist, the second verse took the story a step further by revealing that the woman was pregnant but the man could not find any happiness in the announcement because of the extra pressure a baby would put upon him. Although Michael bemoaned much of Wham!'s material as he began his solo career, "Everything She Wants" remained a song of which he was proud, and he continued to perform it in his shows.

One of the few songs that Georgy Michael wrote and sang during his Wham! days that had a female referral before he came out of the closet. Did she push him to the brink? To the love for the same sex? My bosstress said, "He was always gay lar?!". Hhmm, ok. Point taken. Notice that most songs written by homosexuals do not refer to any gender in particular. Georgy's solo piece, 'Careless Whisper" is an example.

I love this song. Love the synthesizers. Gets my head bopping and body shaking. After all, I'm a retro girl at heart and if this song manages to light up my being and cheer me up, it works for me. It works for me indeed :). What's more, Georgy's proud of it STILL.
la laaa...la la la....
Somebody tell me, won't you tell me
Why I work so hard for you?
All to give you money

All to give you money

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home