Thursday, March 01, 2007

My Bottom Half

I am still feeling the withdrawal symptoms from the long break taken. Swamped with things on my plate, left, right and centre. First day back to work on Tuesday started with a long WIP meeting with the agency and when I returned to the office, an email on a compulsory performance appraisal exercise with the Management that could determine a promotion was waiting for me. That's over and done with today. Can only keep my fingers and toes cross for nothing's confirmed yet. What's for sure? More responsibilities and expectations. Sigh. I need a holiday after a holiday. I reckon the feeling is mutual for many.


As for Hong Kong?

Sightseeing = Done.

Shopping = Done. So done.
Damage to the bank account = Done. So done. Very done.


It was shopping madness as predicted by many for me. Madness. Was on my feet for a minimum of 10 hours a day. I was on a roll. Like never before. On a mission. Ruthless. Nothing and no one could stop me. This went on for three days straight until both legs developed throbbing muscle cramps during the fourth day. I stand corrected. Nothing and no one could stop me but me, myself and I.

The family was amused. Usually, I would be the one who will relentlessly refuse to go back to the hotel to rest. And this time around, for the first time ever, I waved the white flag instead. And there they were, giggling behind me as I limped my way to the taxi stand even though the hotel was just a block away. The fare meter did not even budge from the initial charge of HK$15.

 

Lost my balance, tipped and fell back when I tried to get out of bed the next morning. I could not feel my bottom half. Only felt the numbness of it. Like when one experiences a case of pins and needles. I thought I was going to be paralysed. Mom, who still found the situation totally amusing couldn't resist giggling while she massaged my calves with Tiger Balm Oil. For the next few days, I was practically a living and breathing Salonpas advertisement to soothe the pain while walking. Even my dad's 73 year old friend who took us to Lantau Island could move faster than me.


Yes. I shopped till I dropped.

Literally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home