Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Knowing or not knowing. The former or the latter?

I am a person who needs to know, even if the truth hurts. As cliche as it may sound, the truth will set you free and I believe it will. The truth will give you an ultimatum. A direction. A sign. However, sometimes, we're not given the priviledge to know which might leave us feeling encumbered, depending on how we choose to manage our emotions with the lack of knowledge we're presented with. This is why I always say ignorance is bliss, provided you NEVER find out. Hence, if I'm not given the option to choose, then I hope I never ever chance upon what was concealed from me in the first place.
 
This morning, I found the answer (well, sort of but it was enough for me) in RA's latest blog post. She had questions with no answers as well and read Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character over dinner as she needed to figure things out, that Feynman was THE master of figuring things out.
 
"I can live with doubt, uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything, and in many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here, and what the questions might mean. I might think about it a little, but if I can't figure it out, then I go on to something else. But I don't have to know the answer. I don't feel lost by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, possibly. It doesn't frighten me" - from The Pleasures of Finding Out
 
My next book buy. Found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home