I'm back to slaving for The Initials today. Over the weekend, I was willingly abducted by 'alien' specialists who did miraculous things to my eyes. Well, that's how I felt throughout the whole ordeal. Was like an episode from 'Taken' where aliens kidnapped and transported human beings to their mothership to implant mechanisms inside them.
The experience was surreal and not for the faint hearted. I reckon a roller coaster ride is less unnerving. My heart was beating profusely like never before as my cornea was being laser-ed. While prepping up, Doc Zap-Zap said "Do not think of anything else alright? Just focus on the lights okay?". Tried my best not to move for fear that the procedure will turn awry and focused very intently on the white and red lights that flickered. Focus. Focus. I told myself. What can I say, in the name of vanity, of M.A.C and Dior, I saw no other choice.
I repeatedly hummed The Sound Of Music's 'My Favourite Things' silently in my mind over and over again.
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens;
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;
Brown paper packages tied up with strings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
How Does It Work?
LASIK or Laser-in-Situ Keratomileusis, utilises state-of-the-art Excimer Laser to reshape the corneal tissue beneath the surface of the cornea. LASIK combines the accuracy of the Excimer Laser with the healing benefits of a surgical procedure short sight, long sight and astigmatism.
LASIK involves cutting and lifting a very thin layer of skin on the corneal surface, lasering the exposed tissue and then replacing the layer without stitches.
Step 1:
A thin flap is created using a device called a "Microkeratome" and flap is lifted
Step 2:
A cool beam laser is applied to the cornea to reshape the cornea curvature
Step 3:
The corneal flap is repositioned over the treated area and stays in place without stitches
I was recommended and opted for Intra-Lasik instead as my kornea was not thick enough for Lasik due to my long wearing of contact lenses but the same 1,2,3 steps applied. And let me assure those contemplating to do this that it is absolutely painless. Only some mild irritation once the numbness wears off from the dilation but of course you'll be prescribed with Ponstan to help manage.
Let there be sight I prayed before, during and after. And I'm happy to say there was, almost immediately for me. Here's to a life without glasses and contact lenses. Perhaps I should start a 'I Was Zapped and Survived It' club. Hhmm...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home