Why do people get Married?
We need a witness to our lives...
There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness.'
- Beverly Clarke in "Shall We Dance".
Always wanted to post this quote but don't know why I never got to it. Heard it again over the weekend by chance and I guess there's no escaping. Sigh, how true is it not? All boils down to the fact that nobody wants to be lonely...
It touched my heart and I believe it had the same effect on You, who saw the movie with me for the first time.



4 Comments:
I'm so SHOCKED reading this post!!! This question is exactly what i've been thinking of for the past few days. Guess what? I cant sleep last night coz kept thinking of this question. Why must we get married? To me, getting married is to build a family, a family that is built by you and your loved one. No doubts Marriage does carry the meaning of "promising" but without marriage, the promises can be delivered to your loved one too.
Guess I was unknowingly reading your mind huh? :)
Michelle Pfeiffer's morning after talk with Robert Redford in 'Upclose and Personal' just came to mind as I was typing this.
My vague rememberance of their convo.
Girl:
Will you marry me? I want to wake up next to you every morning.
Boy:
You 're able to do that now.
Girl:
I want to know you're legally required to.
That's it. Marriage is a sanctity where you're legally required to deliver your promises. But like everything else, promises too can be broken and forgotten.
If one delivers the legal requirements to you, but his/her heart is not sincere to you, till the end, although you will be compensated legally, but the legal requirement will not compensate your soul also. But I do fully agree, if want to get married, do it legally.
This is anonymous 2. I've been asking myself since I was young why do people get married? What is a marriage? Someone told me "there's no such thing as a perfect marriage, no such thing as a perfect husband and no such thing as perfect wife". It is not only legally binding in the eyes of the human law, but also binding spiritually, mentally and physically. Two imperfect person in love who are willing to make a lifetime commitment and conscious effort to be together. Until people actually understands the implications involved, I think it's best everyone remains single.
Post a Comment
<< Home